Monday, January 5, 2009

Payne's Prairie Sand Cranes




Yesterday my husband and I went to Paynes's Prairie in Gainesville Florida. He had read in the news paper that thousands of cranes had decided to winter at this location. If you can imagine seeing this many Sand Cranes in one location multiplied 100's of time over. They were every where, dancing their mating dance.


What an AMAZING once in a life time site. There were approximately 7000 Sand cranes and 12 Whooping Cranes. You could hear them long before you saw them.

2 comments:

Candace said...

I love the crane's and get excited when I see a few of them, I wonder if the masses are still in Gainesville, I only live about an hour or two from there?

Julie said...

Wow! Candace sent me here b/c we are both bird lovers. What an amazing sight.